Monday, May 17, 2010

Benediction Cafe Newton

This is one busy cafe on a Sunday! Trying to find a table was hard, there were some outside but it had just poured down with rain so there was a lot of sharing tables under the awning.
Downstairs seemed quite frantic, queuing to order with people asking about seating and wanting to order, yet being sent away to see if there are tables first, makes it a frantic narrow area.
The menu board is hard to read, the writing is small and cramped, I thought I was ordering Red fennel hash cakes, I was told by my friends it was red flannel hash cakes.  Because we were being rushed to order (not a nice experience because I didn't read the board completely) I thought it also came with bacon but when I got my order it was huge chunks of a cabanossi style sausage that really tasted like luncheon sausage and brought back bad memories of school lunches.
JC ordered french toast and said it was soggy.
LV ordered gluten free toast with smoked samon, cream cheese and capers. She enjoyed it and it was a good serving.
The coffees were mild and warm not hot.
All in all not a great time.  I will also warn you about the carparking, it is near impossible around this area.

Rating
Food: 2.5
Ambiance: 3
Service: 2
Coffee: 2

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I used to love this place, but the sausages put me right off!! They reminded me of bologna... not what one wants to think of after a night out...gag!

Anonymous said...

I used to work at Benediction café in 2008! I googled it for nostalgia. A shame to see that Sundays are still a struggle for them.

Post a Comment